Traveling to other countries embodies the mission of Thayer Academy, as it enriches the educational experience for all who participate. Along with a fresh outlook on their own education, students report a marked growth in self-confidence, an overall increase in sophistication, and a degree of language acquisition far exceeding what is possible in the classroom alone. Further value accrues to the larger Thayer community when we welcome onto our campus and into our homes students and faculty from Thayer Academy’s sister schools.
The need for true global citizenship is more important than ever. For many, the first chance to sample cultural differences comes through a student exchange program. To that end, Thayer has cultivated a rich set of sister-school exchanges, some of which grow out of our foreign language instruction. In this way, the Academy and its students develop long-term relationships with schools and students in other countries. These programs include visits to Thayer by foreign students. If you and your family are interested in hosting one of our guests from abroad, please contact Darah Smoot Harper (email@example.com / 781.664.2213).
Spain - Madrid, Toledo, the Galicia region in the city of Vigo
- Offered every other year in June. Students from Galicia visit Thayer for 4 weeks in the summer, typically from end of June to end of July.
- Open to all Upper School students who have completed 2 years of a language.
- Faculty Contact: Marc Rando, Foreign Language Department Head (firstname.lastname@example.org / 781.664.2283)
Travel Programs with a Service Component
The Dominican Republic
- Offered every other year in March.
- Open to Upper School students studying Spanish.
- Faculty Contact: Gloria Blanco, Upper School Spanish Teacher (email@example.com / 781.664.2321)
Study Abroad Programs
"I’m an adventurous person and I love to travel, and Thayer’s had a big part in that. When I graduate, I will have gone on three trips through Thayer: the Dominican Republic, Spain, and China." - Regan O'Donnell '16