Debate Team (Co-Founder and Captain)
Benelli Writing Center Fellow
Attending: Hamilton College
- How has Thayer changed you?
- Who was your most challenging teacher?
- What are your plans next year?
- How did Thayer develop those interests?
- What was your most memorable academic experience at Thayer?
- What’s your favorite Thayer memory?
- What’s something someone would be surprised to know about you?
Thayer taught me how to think. The best example of that was when I went into Honors Precalculus last year. I failed the first two tests, and I had to drop down a level. It was a rude awakening. The Honors Precalculus teacher, Mr. Forrest is very passionate about math. My last school just taught to the test. This year I came back and took AP Calculus and got an A.
Jocelle Marius and I started the Debate Team. We were really bad when we started out, but this year my debate partner and I went 3-1. We went up against the kids who won states last year and lost by half a point. My all time favorite topic was: “In the United States, students should be guaranteed two years of free tuition to a community or technical college.” This topic really forced us to analyze the true value of a college education and take into account how this would affect the economy and our social structure. We were able to develop this incredibly effective con argument that usually trapped our opponents.