School Year Program
Students in grades 5 to 10 can attend the School Year Program on Saturday mornings from 9am to noon at Thayer Academy. The program instructs students in college-level exam taking techniques, including organizing effectively in study groups and preparing for final examinations. Preparatory courses are offered for tests such as the MCAS, SAT, SSAT, and ISEE. Project RISE emphasizes early intervention through a comprehensive parent component, and written progress reports are sent home each week.
This program is held on Saturdays for three hours: an hour and a half with English Language Arts, and an hour and a half with Mathematics. Classes are small, typically with only 6 to 8 students, which helps provide personalized attention and instruction.
Highlights of the School Year Program include:
- Accelerated work in Math, Pre-Algebra, Algebra I & II, Geometry, Trigonometry
- Accelerated work in English, essay writing, critical and analytical writing, SAT writing sections
- Peer-tutors who provide one-on-one support for students that need attention
- Cooperative learning groups based on age and ability
- Access to computer lab for research, projects, and writing assignments
Parents are responsible for transportation to and from Thayer Academy.