Dominican Republic Trip Application
Thayer's Spanish Language and Service Trip
March 9 - 17, 2019
Chaperones: Gloria Blanco and Marc Rando
The trip is open to students in grades 10 and 11 who are in level II of Spanish at Thayer or higher.
This is an opportunity for students to have a culturally enriching and educational experience on the beautiful island of Hispaniola in the Dominican Republic. We will have two active excursions in nature exploring Cabarete Nature Parks and Caves as well as zip-lining at Monkey Jungle Park, a monkey sanctuary. Our time with local service work will be with Project Esperanza, and on those afternoons students will be enrolled in Spanish language classes in Sosua. We will stay together for the week at Sosua by the Sea.
This trip is ideal for Thayer students studying Spanish who are:
- interested in a culturally immersive experience
- want to learn more about the Haitian - Dominican cultures
- would like to practice their Spanish speaking skills with native speakers
- like active and adventurous outdoor activities
- have an open mind and willingness to be adaptive and collaborative
- understand there will be moments when they may be a bit out of their comfort zone
The cost of the trip is $2,800. Thayer Academy does have some funds available to offer limited financial assistance for school trips to those students who are already receiving financial assistance. Eligible students interested in applying for financial assistance should fill out the separate application below. Application for financial assistance should be submitted at the same time as the application for the trip.
Please Note: In cases where assistance is offered, it will be 10-20% less than is offered for tuition assistance. Typically a student is eligible only once for such assistance while he/she is in Middle School and once while in Upper School.
- Monday, October 29: Trip Application and $100 initial deposit due; Financial Aid Request Deadline
- Friday, November 16: Deposit of $1,000 due
- Friday, December 14: Final balance of $1,700 due (final cost of trip may be made any time before this. Financial Aid recipients will pay final balance due.)
Make checks payable to Thayer Academy, with “Dominican Republic Trip” written in the memo. Please drop off check or mail directly to the Business Office.
|Itinerary: March 9-17, 2019|