Yesterday I had the opportunity to tour campus with a classmate of mine. She had not been here in 22 years. She marveled at the Hale Theatre, the student commons and the dining hall (all new since we graduated), and she laughed at how much she wished the third-floor bathroom in Main Building had been there when we were students. It was great to again be reminded, through her eyes, of all the improvements that have happened at Thayer in the past two decades. None of which would have been possible without the generous philanthropic support of those in the Thayer community.
Last year we raised a record-breaking $1,795,350 for our Annual Fund. Money that was used to build that third-floor bathroom in Main Building, as well as the Collaborative Design Lab in the Middle School, fund much-appreciated professional development opportunities for our faculty and staff, and help us to offer financial aid to more than 37% of our student body.
The success of last year’s Annual Fund was a community-wide effort. We had the highest number of Annual Fund donors in Thayer history for all three of our major constituencies: parents, faculty/staff, and alumni. These historic levels of support are important for so many reasons. Aside from helping us to raise critically needed philanthropic dollars, it also helps us to paint a picture for prospective families and the broader community that the members of our community believe in the work that we are doing.
This Monday, February 5th is our third annual Founders Day: A Day of Giving. Last year over 500 people made gifts to Thayer on Founders Day – another record broken! This year an anonymous donor has offered a challenge to our entire community. For each donation we receive, our donor will give us $50, up to a total of $50,000! If you have not made a donation yet this year to Thayer, I hope that this challenge will give you a reason to make one now. As you can imagine, a $50,000 gift to Thayer can be put to important use. Your gift of any amount could make the difference in us completing this challenge successfully. $1, $5, $10, $500 it does not matter. Anything you can offer will help us to reach historic heights.
Melissa Tuthill Forger ‘92
Director of Development
To access a specific section in the TNN click below:
- All School Announcements
- Upper School Announcements
- Middle School Announcements
- TAPA News
- What Thayer is Reading
TONIGHT (Feb 2) - PINK/ BLACK OUT GIRLS BASKETBALL GAMES - JV 4:30 & Varsity 6:00pm
You don't want to miss tonights games! Wear your event T-shirt (for sale in Cahall) to the girls basketball games in Memorial Gym to show your support! 50% of proceeds go to the American Cancer Society. Thayer’s Parent Athletic Council (PAC) is sponsoring free pizza and drinks at 5:00. We will have half-time shooting competitions, prizes, and pom-poms. All member of the Thayer community are welcome!
See upcoming games and meets for Thayer teams by clicking here on the Athletics page.
Feb. 2 - Tonight! Hypnotist Show, 8-9:30 pm in the CFA's Hale Theater - Comedian-hypnotist Jim Spinnato (www.jimspinnato.com) returns for his annual show in the Hale Theater! Jim has been coming to Thayer for many years, and while his show is pure entertainment for the entire Thayer community, only seniors have the opportunity to be hypnotized on stage. All students are welcome to attend, and in spite of what your children might tell you, many parents also attend each year, so please know that you are welcome to come. Tickets are $10 and may be purchased online via www.showtix4u.com (search
Feb. 5th - Third Annual Founders Day: A Day of Giving - All Day Event! VOLUNTEER, DONATE, PARTICIPATE! Mark your calendars for Monday, February 5th for Founders Day: A Day of Giving, Thayer's one-day, community-wide celebration of our history and mission in support of the Thayer Annual Giving Campaign. This year, we have received a $50,000 Challenge gift from an anonymous donor, and have set a goal of 1,000 gifts for this event. If 1,000 gifts are received then $50,000 will be unlocked to benefit Thayer's amazing students, faculty, and community as a whole. For each donor who makes a gift, of any amount, we will receive $50 from our anonymous donor, up to a maximum of $50,000. We need your help to make this day a success!
Volunteer - Volunteers are critical to the success of this one-day celebration. With your help, we will conduct outreach to Thayer community members through phone calls, emails and social media. We will also need volunteers to sign thank you cards to our Founders Day donors. Please consider participating in this high-spirited day. We will use the Tiger's Den as our volunteer command center on February 5th. Click here to volunteer!
Donate - If you would like to help us get a head start on reaching our goal of 1,000 gifts. Click here to give! (Each gift, of any amount, will unlock $50 from our anonymous donor!)
Feb. 6, 8am-1:30pm Lisa Floryshak, Pottery Workshop for students. Lisa's work will be on display in the gallery from Feb.6-March 8.
Feb. 6 - "If They Had Known" Documentary Screening - 7-8pm (7:00-7:30 screening followed by a panel discussion) CFA, Free, Open to all - “If They Had Known” is a documentary film that focuses on the risks of the current party culture. It is not a film about addiction or substance abuse. It addresses the risks of recreationally mixing prescription drugs with alcohol. Our kids live in a world with too many options. The common trend of experimenting with prescription drugs and alcohol is unfortunately very common in high schools and college campuses across the country and is resulting in tragic accidents. This screening will be followed by a panel discussion with Thayer’s Director of Counseling, Jess Matzkin, LICSW, Dr. Mark Vonnegut P ’21 and Lt. Michael Want P ’22, Braintree Police Department. (The Upper School will have a screening for the students on Friday, February 2nd during the school day.) For more information, click here.
Feb. 9 - PINK/ BLACK OUT Boys Basketball Games vs. Belmont Hill - JV 4:30 & Varsity 6:00.
Come cheer on the Boys Basketball teams in Memorial Gym. Wear your event T-shirts (for sale in Cahall) - 50% of proceeds to the American Cancer Society. Thayer’s Parent Athletic Council will sponsor free pizza and drinks at 5pm. Half-time shooting competitions and prizes. Free pom-poms to first 100 fans. All are welcome!
Monday Meeting: Winter Wars
Feb. 12-18, 2018 WINTER WARS!!! The 18th annual Winter Wars begins Monday, Feb 12. These are class vs class competitions that take place for 1 hour each day that week. The classes earn points through games, spirit, and by bringing in various community service donations. Each day we are collecting a specific item (canned goods, toiletries, multivitamins, new socks) to be donated to a local charity, and this year there is a COIN DRIVE, with each class collecting coins, trying to fill their 5-gallon water jug, from now until Thursday, Feb 17. All of the proceeds go towards the South Boston Neighborhood House.
Students Shoulder-to-Shoulder: Applications Are Open! Students Shoulder-to-Shoulder is now accepting applications for its 2018 summer courses. You can find information about the 10 courses offered by SStS here, and you may submit your online application by visiting https://shouldertoshoulder.com/apply-now/. Through Thayer's membership in SStS's Global Schools Coalition, at least one spot in each of the 10 SStS courses is reserved for a Thayer student as long as applications are submitted by February 15. Programs can fill up fast, though, so do not procrastinate! If you have any questions, contact Ms. Archabal.
Click here for important dates for students participating in the Winter play "Fools."
Feb. 7, TAMS Science Cafe, Daniella DiCarlo (PA-C), Graduated from Quinnipiac University 2012 (Bachelors in science/Biology with double minor in chemistry and Psychiatry) and Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (Masters of Physician Assistant Studies) in 2017. In March, Daniella will be starting a job as a Physician's Assistant for Care New England in Providence, RI in plastic surgery specializing in breast reconstruction for women who have undergone mastectomies. Students interested in attending should sign up on the bulletin board across from Mrs. Young's classroom (room 205).
Feb. 9, 5:30-8pm, There will be a social event for Middle School students from 5:30 - 8:00 p.m. on Friday, February 9. We will have pizza, bouncy houses and games in Alumni Gym, and a movie, and Middle School kids will also have the opportunity to join in on the Upper School "blackout" night at the boys' varsity basketball game (featuring Middle School history teacher Mr. Odom) against Belmont Hill at 6 p.m. Please save the date, as this has traditionally been a great evening.
Auction: Friday, March 2, 2018 - Thayer Academy Auction 2018 -Tickets are on sale now!
- The next committee meeting is Feb. 7 at 8:30am in the Tiger's Den.
- Calling on all Thayer families for your support with this year’s Auction! Looking for Sponsors and Advertisements in our auction catalog! The deadline is Friday, February 16!!! Our dynamic auction committee is busy putting together this exciting event for the Thayer community! Please mark your calendars for Friday, March 2, 2018.
- We are looking for families who would like to be a Sponsor at this year’s Auction. We have wonderful sponsorship opportunities outlined for you. Sponsors are critical to the success of the Auction. These significant funds allow more opportunities for Thayer’s faculty to continue growing, learning, and sharing with our students. Please click here to learn about the many sponsorship levels available.
- In addition, we are looking for anyone who would like to provide an Advertisement in our auction booklet. You may advertise your business, congratulate your child’s sports team, or promote whatever your imagination suggests. We have full-and half-size pages available in our catalog, and your logo will be visible on all Auction-related digital media the minute you sign up. Please click here to advertise in the Auction Catalog.
- And we are looking for donations of Auction items! At Auctions in the past, the Thayer community has delighted in wonderful weekend getaway trips, sporting and concert tickets, autographed sports memorabilia, golf packages--to name a few! We are also in need of items such as gift certificates from restaurants, local merchants, or movie theaters. Please click here to donate an Auction item. If you have any questions about donating an auction item, please contact our Acquisitions Co-chairs, Jodi Petrucelli P '18, '21 or Karen Klaff P '21
- We also have the wonderful opportunity to purchase a brick in our courtyard that will be personalized with either your name, family name or your child's name for $1,000.00. We also are offering an opportunity to purchase a seat in our Performing Arts Center and have your name, family name or your child's name put on a plaque in the back of the seat for $2,500.00. All the proceeds would go towards the auction and the Faculty Excellence Fund.
Feb. 8, Faculty & Staff Appreciation
If you happened to miss last week's TAPA Meeting with Guest Speaker Joani Geltman, MSW, you may see Joani at these upcoming speaking engagements that are open to the public.
- 2/15 - Belmont Hill 7-9 PM
Joani's Top Ten Parenting Tips For Raising Teens
3/5 - Dexter Southfield School
Joani's Top Ten Parenting Tips
Save the Dates for TAPA's Spring Programming:
- April 4 - 8:15am - Coffee with Highley Thompson (US) – CFA
- April 12 - 7-9pm - Ryan Klingensmith, CFA Ryan is a Licensed Professional and Nationally Certified Counselor and Founder of Shape the Sky. He will be speaking to parents about teen use and misuse of technology, guiding and educating teens, and the effect of social media culture on teens in schools.
- April 25 - 8:15am - Coffee with Carson Smith (MS) MS Library
Don't forget to follow us on social! You don't need to download any apps to see pictures and videos of what's happening all over campus every day. Simply click on the icons below to access Thayer's official Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Click on the book or article titles for the book review or full article.
Diane Haigh, Upper School Graphic Design teacher, The Speed of Trust: The One Thing That Changes Everything, Stephen M.R. Covey
Callie Schneider, Upper School Foreign Language teacher, Women & Power: A Manifesto, Mary Beard
Questions about TNN? Suggestions? Please email TNN@thayer.org.