We are excited for the start of the 2017-18 school year, and to begin working with students as they learn how technology can help them learn and grow in the classroom. This our third year of the laptop program, which provides students with 11" MacBook Airs. The program was designed to support collaborative learning and help students become more independent, creative, and productive. Students have the ability to run educational applications such as Lego Robotics, GarageBand, Adobe design products, and Sim Bio so they can create within these applications at home. Thayer will manage all laptops with wireless and global filtering policies. The laptops have Internet filtering even when off campus.
Laptop Insurance Information
Thayer Academy is offering a group policy with Worth Ave Group Insurance. This is a voluntary group policy and must be renewed every year. Payment is made online and claims will be handled by Thayer Academy. You will get the benefit of the lower premium, and the claim turnaround time is faster because the school handles the claim. The group rate to protect your school-issued laptop is $75.00 per year with no deductible.
The Worth Ave Group policy covers incidents such as:
- Accidental Damage including drops/cracked screens/liquid spills
- Liquid Submersion
- Fire/Flood Damage
- Natural Disasters
- Power Surge due to Lightning
Laptop Insurance was an option parents could select during the enrollment process. If you choose to waive the Laptop Insurance, please log in to the Parent Portal at thayer.org and fill out the waiver form here.
In the event a laptop is damaged, the student will bring it to the Hanflig Technology Center. Thayer Academy will send the laptop to the insurance depot for repairs, and the student will receive a loaner laptop. Please note that theft is not covered in this insurance policy. If you choose not to take insurance you will be billed for any repairs to your damaged laptop.
Care of the Laptop
Please be aware that families are responsible for loss or damage of the laptop, whether it takes place in or out of school. Students are required to purchase a Speck hard shell case for the MacBook Air. The school will not issue a laptop to a student unless he/she has the Speck hard shell case at laptop distribution.
For the Speck case, we are able to offer a discount code that will save $15.00 off retail price and will provide free shipping to your home. This online purchase option also allows students to choose a case from a range of colors. This year, the STM Dux case (a sturdier rugged white case with black bumpers) will be offered. To use the code, please go to Discount Cell and use the code thayer-academy.
We will distribute the laptops to students by grade level in mid-August. Laptop Distribution will take place in Cahall Dining Hall. We will be available from 8am-12pm with sessions at 9am and 10:30am. During these sessions, students will learn about laptop care, Internet safety, and Frequently Asked Questions. If you have multiple children attending Thayer Academy, all of them can pick up their laptops at one session. If you are unavailable to make the assigned pickup session, another session or any of the makeup days, please fill out the Alternate laptop distribution session form. This form has an alternate date option for September 5, before school starts. The laptop distribution time schedule is listed below.
|Grade||Date & Location||Session Times|
|Returning 10th, 11th, & 12th grade students||Monday, August 21|
Cahall Dining Hall
|All 9th grade students, New 10th & 11th grade students||Tuesday, August 22|
Cahall Dining Hall
|All Middle School students||Wednesday, August 23|
Cahall Dining Hall
|Makeup time||Monday thru Friday|
August 28 - September 1
In summary, the following steps need to be completed before your child picks up his or her laptop:
- Purchase a Speck Case
- Determine what day and time your child is assigned to pick up his or her laptop
- Can a parent pick up a student’s laptop? No, your child must be present to pick up, log in and receive basic training.
- Can a student use their own laptop? No, this is a school program and the school-issued laptops are managed by Thayer.
- Can my student print work from a Thayer laptop while at home? Yes. If you have a home wireless network and your printer is broadcast, the printer will be listed in System Preferences/Printers & Scanners. Otherwise, laptops can be directly connected to a printer via USB.
- Do the laptops come preloaded with software or will parents need to purchase it? The laptops will be preloaded with all school software such as Microsoft Office applications, Adobe Creative Suite, and specific content curriculum applications that are school purchased, such as Lego Robotics and Sim Bio. Pages and Keynote are free with a student’s iTunes account. iMovie and Garageband must be purchased via the App store. There may be a class that requires the purchase of a specific application.
- Does my child have the same laptop for four years? Are laptops turned in at the end of each year? Your child will have the same laptop while at Thayer, and depending upon grade level, they may be collected over the summer and then returned.
- Does Thayer have enough spare laptops if my student’s is not working properly? Thayer has 35 loaner laptops.