We are excited to begin the 2018-19 school year, this being our fourth year with 13" MacBook Airs for all students at Thayer Academy. Thayer's laptop program is designed to support collaborative learning and to help students become more independent, creative, and productive. Students use educational applications such as Lego Robotics, GarageBand, Adobe Design products, and SimBio. A mobile laptop program allows students to create within these applications at home and at school. In a 2018 survey, the students reported that the laptops have been helpful in taking notes, keeping work organized, taking online assessments, researching, and accessing and creating class content. Later in the summer we will be distributing more than 700 new 13" MacBook Air laptops. Thayer will manage all laptops with wireless and global filtering policies. The laptops have Internet filtering even when off campus.
Laptop Insurance Information
Thayer Academy is offering a group policy with Worth Ave Group Insurance. This is a voluntary group policy and must be renewed every year. Payment is made online and claims will be handled by Thayer Academy. You will get the benefit of the lower premium, and the claim turnaround time is faster since the school handles the claim. The group rate to protect your school issued laptop is $75 per year with no deductible.
The Worth Ave Group policy covers incidents such as:
- Accidental Damage including drops/cracked screens/liquid spills
- Liquid Submersion
- Fire/Flood Damage
- Natural Disasters
- Power Surge due to Lightning
Laptop Insurance was added during the enrollment process. If you choose to waive the Laptop Insurance, please fill out the waiver form here.
In the event a laptop is damaged, the student will bring it to the Hanflig Technology Center. Thayer Academy will send the laptop to the insurance depot for repairs, and the student will receive a loaner laptop. Please note that theft is not covered in this insurance policy. If you choose to decline insurance, you will be billed for any repairs to your damaged laptop. If the laptop cannot be repaired, you are liable for the full replacement cost.
Care of the Laptop
Please be aware that families are responsible for loss or damage of the laptop, whether it takes place in or out of school. With the new MacBook Air 13" laptop program, students are required to use a Brenthaven Edge case for the laptop. The school will issue a laptop to a student with the Brenthaven Edge case at laptop distribution.
The Brenthaven Edge case costs $50 ($30 off the individual retail price). Because we will be purchasing the cases in bulk and providing them to students at laptop distribution, the $50 charge for the case will appear on a future invoice.
We will distribute the laptops to students by grade level in the latter half of August 2018. Laptop distribution will take place in Cahall Dining Hall. Sessions will run hourly in the morning at 8am, 9am, 10am, and 11am. Afternoon sessions will run at 1pm and 2pm. You do not have to sign up, but please arrive on the hour. During these sessions, students will learn about laptop care, Internet safety, and Frequently Asked Questions. If you have multiple children attending Thayer Academy, all of them can pick up their laptops at one session. If you are unavailable to make the assigned pickup session, another session, or any of the makeup days, please fill out the alternate laptop distribution session form. This form has an alternate date option for September 4, 2018, the day before school starts. The laptop distribution time schedule is listed below.
|Grade||Date & Location||Session Times|
|All returning 7th thru 12th grade students||Monday, August 20
8, 9, 10, 11am
|All new 7th thru 11th grade students||Tuesday, August 21
|8, 9, 10, 11am
|5th and 6th grade students||Wednesday, August 22
|8, 9, 10, 11am
|Open to all grades||Thursday, August 23 and
Monday thru Thursday, August 27-30
|8, 9, 10, 11am
The laptop program requires every student to have an Apple ID. The Apple suite of applications such as Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Garageband, and iMovie will require an Apple ID to access and keep up to date. These applications are preloaded on the laptops.
Any other applications from the app store will require an Apple ID to download to the laptop.
Children under the age of 13 cannot create an Apple ID on their own. However, as a parent or legal guardian, the family organizer can provide verified parental consent for a child to have their own Apple ID, and then create it on the child's behalf. Click here for Apple's information regarding privacy.
Please note that Thayer cannot create or manage Apple IDs.
Click here for directions to set up an Apple ID for your child. Please complete this before you come to pick up your child's laptop.
- Can a parent pick up a student’s laptop? No, your child must be present to pick up, log in and receive basic training.
- Do parents need to accompany their children to pick up their laptops? Only if the student does not have their own Apple ID. The parent will need to provide theirs OR create one for their child.
- Can a student use their own laptop? No, this is a school program and the school-issued laptops are managed by Thayer.
- Can my student print work from a Thayer laptop while at home? Yes. If you have a home wireless network and your printer is broadcast, the printer will be listed in System Preferences/Printers & Scanners. Otherwise, laptops can be directly connected to a printer via USB.
- Do the laptops come preloaded with software or will parents need to purchase it? At distribution laptops are loaded with Thayer's learning management software. Apple application software is pre-loaded on the laptop (Pages, Numbers, Keynote, GarageBand, and iMovie). All other school-required software will need to be obtained via the Thayer Self Service application or the Apple App store using a valid AppleID.
- Does my child have the same laptop for four years? Are laptops turned in at the end of each year? Your child will have the same laptop while at Thayer, and depending upon grade level, they may be collected over the summer and then returned in the fall.
- What happens if my student’s laptop is not working properly? Thayer has loaner laptops students may use while theirs is with IT.