Thayer's laptop program is designed to support collaborative learning and help students become more independent, creative, and productive. Students use educational applications such as Lego Robotics, GarageBand, Adobe Design products, and SimBio. A mobile laptop program allows students to create within these applications both at home and at school. In a recent survey, students reported that the laptops were helpful in taking notes, keeping work organized, taking online assessments, creating class content, accessing class content, and researching.
Later in the summer we will return 13” MacBook Air laptops to Middle School students and distribute laptops to new students. Thayer manages all laptops with wireless and global filtering policies. The laptops have internet filtering even when off campus.
Laptop Insurance Information
Thayer offers a group policy with Worth Ave. Group Insurance. This is a voluntary group policy and must be renewed every year. Payment is made online, and claims are handled by Thayer. You will get the benefits of a lower premium and faster claim turnaround time since Thayer handles the claim. The group rate to protect your school-issued laptop is $75 per year with no deductible.
The Worth Ave. Group policy covers incidents such as:
- Accidental Damage including drops/cracked screens/liquid spills
- Liquid Submersion
- Fire/Flood Damage
- Natural Disasters
- Power Surge due to Lightning
Laptop insurance was added during the enrollment process. If you choose to waive the Laptop insurance, please click here to fill out the waiver form.
In the event a laptop is damaged, the student will bring it to the Hanflig Technology Center. Thayer will send the laptop to the insurance depot for repairs, and the student will receive a loaner laptop. Please note that theft is not covered in the insurance policy. If you choose to decline insurance, you will be billed for any repairs to the damaged laptop. If the laptop cannot be repaired, you are liable for the full replacement cost.
Care of the Laptop
Please be aware that families are responsible for loss of, or damage to, the laptop, whether it takes place in or out of school. With the MacBook Air 13” laptop program, students are required to use a Brenthaven Edge case for the laptop. This case protects vulnerable corners of the device and achieves maximum drop protection. The school will issue a laptop to new students with the Brenthaven Edge case at laptop distribution.
Laptops will be distributed to students in mid-August 2019. Laptop distribution will take place in the Tiger’s Den. During these sessions students will learn about laptop care, review internet safety, and hear answers to Frequently Asked Questions. If you have multiple children attending Thayer, all of them can pick up their laptops at one session. If you are unavailable to make the assigned pick-up session or another session, please fill out the Alternate laptop distribution session form. This form has an alternate date option of September 3, 2019, the day before school starts. The laptop distribution time schedule is listed below.
|Grade||Date & Location||Session Times|
|All returning Middle School students||Monday, August 19
9, 10, 11 a.m.
All new 7th thru 11th grade students
All rising 9th grade students
|Tuesday, August 20
|9, 10, 11 a.m.
|All new 5th and 6th grade students||Wednesday, August 21
|9, 10, 11 a.m.
|Make-up Session||Tuesday, September 3
Hanflig Technology Center
|10, 11 a.m.
The laptop program requires every student to have an Apple ID. The Apple suite of applications (such as Pages, Numbers, Keynote, GarageBand, and iMovie) will require an Apple ID to access and keep up to date. These applications are preloaded on the laptops.
Any other applications from the app store will require an Apple ID to download to the laptop.
Children under age 13 cannot create an Apple ID on their own. However, as a parent or legal guardian, the family organizer can provide verified parental consent for a child to have an Apple ID and then create it on the child's behalf. Click here for Apple's information regarding privacy.
Please note that Thayer cannot create or manage Apple IDs.
Click here for directions to set up an Apple ID for your child. Please complete this before picking up the laptop.
- Can a parent pick up a student’s laptop? No. Your child must be present to pick up, log in, and receive basic training.
- Do parents need to accompany their children to pick up their laptops? Only if the student does not have an Apple ID. The parent will need to provide theirs OR create one for their child.
- Can a student use their own laptop? No. This is a school program, and the school-issued laptops are managed by Thayer.
- Can my student print work from a Thayer laptop while at home? Yes. If you have a home wireless network and your printer is broadcast, the printer will be listed in System Preferences/Printers & Scanners. Otherwise, laptops can be directly connected to a printer via USB.
- Do the laptops come preloaded with software or will parents need to purchase it? At distribution, laptops are loaded with Thayer's learning management software. Apple application software is pre-loaded on the laptop (Pages, Numbers, Keynote, GarageBand, and iMovie). All other school-required software will need to be obtained via the Thayer Self Service application or the Apple App store using a valid AppleID.
- Does my child have the same laptop for four years? Are laptops turned in at the end of each year? Your child will have the same laptop while at Thayer; at Middle School grade levels, laptops are collected over the summer and then returned in the fall.
- What happens if my student’s laptop is not working properly? Thayer has loaner laptops that students may use while theirs is with IT.