Thayer's laptop program is designed to support collaborative online learning and to help students become more independent, creative, and productive. Students use educational applications such as Lego Robotics, GarageBand, Adobe Design products, and Sim Bio. The laptop program allows students to create within these applications at home and at school.
We will distribute laptops to new students in August. Thayer will manage all laptops with wireless and global filtering policies. The laptops have internet filtering even when off campus.
Laptop Insurance Information
Thayer Academy offers a group policy with Worth Ave. Group Insurance. This is a voluntary group policy and must be renewed every year. Payment is made online, and claims will be handled by Thayer Academy. You will get the benefit of a lower premium, and the claim turnaround time is faster since the school handles the claim. The group rate to protect your school-issued laptop is $75 per year with no deductible.
The Worth Ave. Group Policy covers incidents such as:
- Accidental Damage including drops/cracked screens/liquid spills
- Liquid Submersion
- Fire/Flood Damage
- Natural Disasters
- Power Surge due to lightning
Laptop insurance was added during the enrollment process. If you choose to waive the Laptop insurance, please click here to fill out the waiver form.
In the event a laptop is damaged, students should email firstname.lastname@example.org and set up an appointment to bring it to the Hanflig Technology Center. Thayer Academy will send the laptop to the insurance depot for repair, and the student will receive a loaner laptop. Please note that theft is not covered in this insurance policy. If you choose to decline insurance, you will be billed for any repairs to your damaged laptop. If the laptop cannot be repaired, you are liable for the full replacement cost.
Care of the Laptop
Please be aware that families are responsible for loss or damage of the laptop whether it takes place in or out of school. Students are required to use a Brenthaven Edge case for the laptop. This case protects vulnerable corners of the device and achieves maximum drop protection. The school will issue laptops to new students with the Brenthaven Edge case at laptop distribution.
The laptop program requires every student to have an Apple ID. The Apple suite of applications (such as Pages, Numbers, Keynote, GarageBand, and iMovie) will require an Apple ID to access and keep up to date. These applications are preloaded on the laptops. Any other applications from the app store will require an Apple ID to download to the laptop.
Children under age 13 cannot create an Apple ID on their own. However, as a parent or legal guardian, the family organizer can provide verified parental consent for a child to have an individual Apple ID and then create it on the child's behalf. Click here for Apple's information regarding privacy.
Please note that Thayer cannot create or manage Apple IDs. Click here for directions to set up an Apple ID for your child. Please complete this before you come to pick up your child's laptop.
We will distribute laptops to all new students on Monday, August 24, Tuesday, August 25, and Wednesday, August 26. Laptop distribution will take place in the Center for the Arts Lobby. Informational sessions will run hourly, and all students, at a maximum of 12 per session, must pre-register for their session.
During these 45-minute sessions, students will learn about laptop care, internet safety, and Frequently Asked Questions. If you have multiple new students, you can pre-register them all for one session.
Regarding health and safety protocol for coming to campus:
- The following questions must be reviewed before students come to campus. If any answer is "yes," please contact Kathy Cunningham, RN, MSN, P ‘07, ‘10 (email@example.com) to discuss further or if you have any questions.
- Have you or anyone in your household traveled in the U.S. in the past 14 days and become subject to the Massachusetts Travel Order in effect as of 8/1/2020? (MA Travel Order)
- Have you or anyone in your household had any of the following symptoms of possible COVID-19 in the last 14 days: sore throat, cough, chills, body aches for unknown reasons, shortness of breath for unknown reasons, loss of smell, loss of taste, fever at or greater than 100 degrees Fahrenheit?
- Have you or anyone in your household cared for an individual who is in quarantine or is a presumptive positive or has tested positive for COVID-19?
- Do you have any reason to believe you or anyone in your household has been exposed to or acquired COVID-19 in the past 48 hours?
- Everyone must wear a mask while on campus. Students: please wait in your car until we open the doors for each session. Parents and Guardians: please stay in your car while your child attends their session.
- Everyone must keep a 6-feet distance from others.
- Hand sanitizer will be available for use upon entry and exit.
- All surfaces will be disinfected in between sessions.
- Can a parent pick up a student’s laptop? No. Your child must be present to pick up, log in, and receive basic training.
- Can parents and guardians accompany their children to pick up their laptops? Only if the student is under 13. The parent will need to provide theirs OR previously created one for their child.
- Can a student use their own laptop? No. This is a school program, and the school-issued laptops are managed by Thayer.
- Can my student print work from a Thayer laptop while at home? Yes. If you have a home wireless network and your printer is broadcast, the printer will be listed in System Preferences/Printers & Scanners. Otherwise, laptops can be directly connected to a printer via USB.
- Do the laptops come preloaded with software or will parents need to purchase it? At distribution, laptops are loaded with Thayer's learning management software. Apple application software is pre-loaded on the laptop (Pages, Numbers, Keynote, GarageBand, and iMovie). All other school-required software will need to be obtained via the Thayer Self Service application or the Apple App store using a valid AppleID.
- Does my child have the same laptop for four years? Are laptops turned in at the end of each year? Your child will have the same laptop while at Thayer; at Middle School grade levels, laptops are collected over the summer and then returned in the fall.
- What happens if my student’s laptop is not working properly? Thayer has loaner laptops that students may use while theirs is with IT.