Thayer's laptop program is designed to support collaborative online learning and to help students become more independent, creative, and productive. Students use educational applications such as Lego Robotics, GarageBand, Adobe Design products, and Sim Bio. The laptop program allows students to create within these applications at home and at school.
This year we will distribute new M1 MacBook Air laptops to all students. There are several advantages to the new laptops with the M1 chip: longer battery life, faster charging time, the fastest processing speed ever offered on a mobile Apple device, no thermal issues, and no more fan noises. In keeping with policy, Thayer will manage all laptops with wireless and global filtering services in place. The laptops have internet filtering even when off campus.
The laptop program requires each student to have an Apple ID. The Apple suite of applications (such as Pages, Numbers, Keynote, GarageBand, and iMovie) require an Apple ID to access and keep up to date. These applications are preloaded on the laptops. Any other applications from the app store will require an Apple ID to download to the laptop.
Children under age 13 cannot create an Apple ID on their own. However, a parent or legal guardian can provide verified parental consent for a child to have an individual Apple ID and then create it on the child's behalf. Click here for Apple's information regarding privacy.
Please note that Thayer cannot create or manage Apple IDs. Click here for directions to set up an Apple ID for your child. Please complete this before you come to pick up your child's laptop.
Laptop Insurance Information
Thayer Academy offers a group policy insurance with AppleCare. This is a voluntary group policy and must be renewed each year. Payment is made online, and claims are handled by Thayer Academy. Families receive the benefits of a lower premium and faster claim turnaround time since the Academy handles claims. The group rate to protect your school-issued laptop is $75 per year with no deductible.
Laptop insurance was added during the enrollment process. If you choose to waive the laptop insurance, please click here to fill out the waiver form.
In the event a laptop is damaged, students should email email@example.com and set up an appointment to bring it to the Hanflig Technology Center. Thayer Academy will send the laptop to an Apple depot for repairs, and the student will receive a loaner laptop. Please note that theft is not covered in this insurance policy. If you choose to decline insurance, you will be billed for any repairs to your damaged laptop. If the laptop cannot be repaired, you are liable for the full replacement cost.
Care of the Laptop
Please be aware that families are responsible for loss of or damage to the laptop, whether it takes place in or out of school. Students are required to use a Brenthaven Edge case for the laptop. This case protects vulnerable corners of the device and achieves maximum drop protection. The school will issue a laptop with the Brenthaven Edge case at laptop distribution.
We will distribute the laptops to all students the week of Monday, August 23, through Friday, August 27. Laptop distribution will take place in the Tiger's Den. Mandatory introductory sessions will run hourly in the morning at 9, 10, and 11 a.m., and afternoon sessions will run at 1 and 2 p.m. During these 45-minute sessions, students will learn about laptop care, internet safety, and Frequently Asked Questions.
All students (maximum of 24 per session) must register for the session they will attend. Click here to log in to MySchoolApp and register by going to the Resource Board and clicking on the Pick-A-Time Student Laptop Distribution icon. If you cannot attend a session the week of August 23, please register for a makeup session on Sept. 7 or 8 at either 10 a.m. or 1 p.m. Makeup sessions will take place in the Hanflig Technology Center.
Please note that all NEW students entering grades 10 and 11 have been preregistered:
- all NEW 10th grade students have been preregistered for August 25 at 10 a.m.
- all NEW 11th grade students have been preregistered for August 25 at 11 a.m.
Please check the website for up-to-date information regarding the health and safety practices for anyone coming to campus.
- Can a parent pick up a student’s laptop? No. Your child must be present to pick up, log in, and receive basic training.
- Can parents and guardians accompany their children to pick up their laptops? Only if the student is under 13. The parent will need to provide theirs OR previously created one for their child.
- Can a student use their own laptop? No. This is a school program, and the school-issued laptops are managed by Thayer.
- Can my student print work from a Thayer laptop while at home? Yes. If you have a home wireless network and your printer is broadcast, the printer will be listed in System Preferences/Printers & Scanners. Otherwise, laptops can be directly connected to a printer via USB.
- Do the laptops come preloaded with software or will parents need to purchase it? At distribution, laptops are loaded with Thayer's learning management software. Apple application software is pre-loaded on the laptop (Pages, Numbers, Keynote, GarageBand, and iMovie). All other school-required software will need to be obtained via the Thayer Self Service application or the Apple App store using a valid AppleID.
- Does my child have the same laptop for four years? Are laptops turned in at the end of each year? Your child will have the same laptop while at Thayer; at Middle School grade levels, laptops are collected over the summer and then returned in the fall.
- What happens if my student’s laptop is not working properly? Thayer has loaner laptops that students may use while theirs is with IT.