August 12, 2022
Dear Parents/Guardians, Faculty, Staff, Students, and Friends,
I hope this communication finds you enjoying your summer. I am excited to be a part of the Thayer community and grateful to the many individuals who have reached out to welcome me to Thayer.
I look forward to meeting each of you this year. To kick off the start of the Fall 2022 season, we will approach Preseason 2022 a little differently.
- Any Upper School student-athlete who intends to play varsity or JV football or run varsity or JV cross country will arrive for the first day of preseason practice on Friday, Sept. 2, at 10:30 a.m.
- Individuals interested in trying out for varsity field hockey, varsity soccer, or varsity volleyball will arrive on Friday, Sept. 2, at 10:30 a.m. for preseason practice.
- Individuals interested in participating on a JV-level team in field hockey, soccer, or volleyball will attend practice on the first day of school on Wednesday, Sept. 7, at 3:45 p.m.
First Day of Preseason: Friday, Sept. 2
Welcome and Welcome Back
- 10:30 a.m. in Memorial Gym: All preseason student-athletes will arrive for check-in with their coaches.
- Team Ambassadors will be on hand to help all new and returning student-athletes.
- 11:15 - 11:30 a.m.: New and returning parents/guardians are encouraged to stay for a Welcome by Head of School Chris Fortunato, Athletics Director Bobbi Moran, and Director of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging Matt Ghiden.
- 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.: Preseason practice
- 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. in the Tiger's Den: New and returning parents/guardians are invited to join us for a Welcome Back Coffee Social where members of the Thayer community will be on hand to say hello and connect.
- 12:30 - 1:30 p.m.: New and returning parents/guardians are welcome to watch preseason practices.
- 1:30 p.m. Preseason student-athletes will be dismissed for the long holiday weekend.
We hope to see you and look forward to welcoming you to campus. Preseason practices will resume on Tuesday, Sept. 6, from 3:30 to 6 p.m.
Practices for all Upper School JV student-athletes who have not participated in preseason begin on Wednesday, Sept. 7, from 3:30 to 6 p.m. after the close of the academic day.
Practices for all Middle School fall sports begin on Monday, Sept. 12, at 2:45 p.m.
Please read below for details about preseason and beyond. I do hope you find this letter helpful. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out. Again, I look forward to welcoming you to campus soon!
Yours in Tiger Spirit,
Bobbi D. Moran
781.664.2247 | email@example.com
VERY IMPORTANT: If a student is interested in any August sport-specific conditioning, camps/clinics, or optional workouts organized by team captains, please contact the head coach directly. Also, check the Team Pages for possible additional information.
Upper School Preseason Open Gyms / Fields to be held Aug. 29 - Sept. 1 (optional). The Main Campus fields, both Memorial and Alumni gyms, and the Fish Center for Physical Fitness will be open from noon until 4 p.m. only! These workouts are completely optional, are not sanctioned Thayer events, and should not / will not be emphasized by varsity coaches. (The ISL no longer recognizes the term "Captains Practice.")
Upper School Fall After-School Activities Sign-ups (options: Strength & Conditioning, Fitness Skills, Yoga, Manage a Team, or Theater Production) will be via Google sign-up. An email will be sent to all students by Aug. 15.
Grades 9-12 alternative programs may be granted. All fall season Upper and Middle School Waiver Request Forms (available online or in the Athletics office) must be submitted no later than Sept. 10.
- Team Clothing Stores: All fall sport-specific team clothing stores will be open on the Team Pages for online purchases. The NEW online Campus Store will go live on Sept. 1.
- Set up your personal mobile phone or computer to access any team schedule and receive alerts about schedule changes! Click here for instructions for the following:
- Sign up for text alerts for individual teams to receive direct alerts related to all team-specific cancellations and updates
- Pull a team schedule into your phone or computer's calendar app -- when changes are made, the calendar will update automatically
- Add a button to your phone's home screen to directly access a team's page
- ImPACT Testing is mandatory for all new students and Thayer athletes. Health Services has already sent an email regarding Magnus Health forms, which include all ImPACT testing information.
- For all Health & Wellness questions, please contact Upper School Health and Wellness Department Head Wendi Happ at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Athletics in the
Easy access to Team Pages, Upcoming Games, Tryout & Practice Info, Waiver Forms, Contact Info, and Athletics FAQs
Athletics Department Directory
Contact info for Athletics Department staff, trainers, and coaches
on Thayer's website
All general Athletics Department questions (e.g., philosophy, campus programs/requirements, phone contacts, waivers)
All weekly game and practice schedules, directions, departure and arrival times, cancellations, updates, and daily notes
Tuesday, Aug. 30
US & MS Fall Coaches Meeting with the Athletics Director and Certification Day
Mandatory for all fall coaches
Friday, Sept. 2
begins for US Fall Student-Athletes Trying Out ONLY for Varsity Field Hockey, Soccer, & Volleyball
ALL US Football & XC (Varsity/ JV / 3rds) Come to Preseason Team Tryouts
No Practices Saturday, Sept. 3; Sunday, Sept. 4; and
Monday, Sept. 5
Practices resume on Tuesday, Sept. 6: Varsity Field Hockey, Varsity Soccer, Varsity Volleyball Tryouts
as well as
All Upper School Football and Cross Country student-athletes
Wednesday, Sept. 7
US Fall Sports Begin
(Varsity, JV, 3rds)
All US student-athletes participating in interscholastic programs are required to attend after-school practices.
Meet the Coaches
No formal practices
3:15 - 3:45 p.m.
Thursday, Sept. 8
Coaches Athletics Information Overview
6 - 7:30 p.m.
All parents & guardians are required to attend
Monday, Sept. 12
MS Fall Sports Begin
US Team Roster typical practice schedule begins
US after-school activities begin