Tuition & Financial Aid
2022-23 Middle School Tuition: $53,820
2022-23 Upper School Tuition: $56,295
Tuition includes all educational expenses, a hot lunch and morning snack, and participation in extracurricular activities such as athletics, arts, clubs, and organizations. It does not include transportation to and from school, books, or educational travel programs.
Financial Aid Program
Financial aid at Thayer Academy is entirely need-based: awards are made solely on the basis of a family's ability to pay. In 2021, Thayer Academy awarded $8 million in financial aid to 36.5% of our student body with the average grant totaling $30,952, allowing us to maintain a socioeconomically diverse student population that enriches the Thayer experience for all students. Thayer does not offer scholarships or merit awards for academic, artistic, or athletic ability.
Typically, more families apply for financial aid than the school can fund in the first round of admission decisions. In the event that funds become available later, some applicants on the waitlist might then become eligible for financial aid awards.
Applying for Financial Aid
We partner with School and Student Services (SSS) by NAIS in our financial aid process. To begin your financial aid application, you will complete SSS's Parents' Financial Statement (PFS).
The PFS is a comprehensive application that will take some time to complete. Give yourself the time you need by not waiting until the deadline to begin. You'll need your most recent tax return or W2 before beginning the PFS. We also recommend that you review the wide range of materials that SSS has put together to help families with the financial aid process. They can be found at https://www.solutionsbysss.com/.
We will communicate our financial aid decision to you. To make our decision, we use the information from the PFS as a starting point but also consider our school policy, practices, and available budget.
How to complete the Parents' Financial Statement (PFS) online
- Beginning October 1, 2021, visit https://sssandtadsfa.force.com/familyportal to create your PFS online account using your email address and a password. Once this is done, you can log out of the PFS at any time and then return later to complete it.
- Our school's full name: Thayer Academy
- Our school's SSS code: 7654
- 2021 W2s must be uploaded to SSS by February 4, 2022.
- The fee of $50 is nonrefundable. Waivers are available based on income and determined by SSS.
If you need help completing the PFS, contact SSS customer service at (800) 344-8328.
ALL DOCUMENTS MUST BE SUBMITTED THROUGH SCHOOL AND STUDENT SERVICES (SSS).
- Parents' Financial Statement form (PFS)
- A copy of your 2020 federal income tax return (1040), including all supporting schedules and W-2 forms
- A copy of your 2021 federal income tax return (1040), including all supporting schedules and W-2 forms, must be submitted by March 4, 2022
- Financial statement for parents who are separated or divorced or have never been married. If you are currently separated or have been divorced, an additional PFS, plus the required fee, must be completed by the non-custodial parent and submitted to SSS.
- 1. How is need determined?
- 2. How are admissions and financial aid decisions made?
- 3. How is aid determined for parents who are divorced, separated, or were never married?
- 4. What kind of aid is awarded?
- 5. How much aid is given?
- 6. When should I apply for aid?
- 7. When is the financial aid application deadline?
- 8. Must I reapply for aid every year?
- 9. How do I apply for a tuition payment plan?
- 10. When are financial aid awards made?
- 11. What kind of insurance does Thayer offer?
- 12. When should tuition be paid?
To determine need, Thayer uses the services of the NAIS School and Student Service for Financial Aid (SSS) in Princeton, NJ at www.solutionsbysss.com. The report of financial need computed by SSS is reviewed in the context of the Academy's aid policy and other information that may be available. The Financial Aid Committee is responsible for all award decisions.
The Admissions Committee selects students for admission without knowledge of who may have applied for financial aid. Separately, the Financial Aid Committee reviews the financial aid file for each accepted student who has submitted an application for financial aid.
Typically, more students qualify for admission and financial aid than can be funded in the first round offers. In the event of additional funds later becoming available, some students who were waitlisted may subsequently be offered admission with financial aid awards.
The Academy requires that all parents contribute to the cost of education for their child to the extent of their ability. Both parents should go to www.solutionsbysss.com and complete the online financial aid application.
Yes, every family must apply for financial aid each year. However, one may expect to receive the same proportion of aid if the family's financial circumstances remain essentially the same. A significant change in a family's financial profile may result in a change in the financial aid package offered.
The Academy offers two optional insurance plans: Tuition Refund Plan (TRP) and Student Accident Insurance (SAI). Fees for both are charged to all students' accounts on the July 1 billing statement. Information describing the scope and benefits of each plan is provided with that statement of charges. Parents may waive participation in either or both of these plans by signing the waiver form that is included with the statement and returning it to the Business Office no later than September 1. Parents are responsible for the full year's tuition irrespective of whether part of the year is spent in other study, on a Senior Project, or if the student, for any reason, withdraws, or is dismissed.
A statement for tuition is sent from Smart Tuition after completion of enrollment contract. One half of the tuition, plus the charges for the TRP and SAI, and the Parent Association dues must be paid no later than June 15. The second half of the tuition is due no later than November 15. Parents who find it more convenient to pay monthly may want to consider the Thayer 10-Month Payment Plan. Details for this plan are available from the Business Office (781.380.0503). It should be noted that a student will not be admitted to class if the tuition and fees have not been paid.
October 1, 2021
2021-22 PFS opens through SSS
December 1, 2021
Current Thayer families who did NOT receive aid in the prior year must notify the CFOO of their intent to apply
January 7, 2022
SSS deadline for current Thayer families' financial aid materials
January 15, 2022
SSS application deadline for prospective families