Thayer Academy is a co-ed day school for grades 5-12. Most of our students live within a 30- or 40-minute distance from our Braintree campus. Thayer admits students for fall matriculation only; students are not admitted at mid-year or in the spring. Thayer is a day school with no boarding facilities, and our preference is for international students to live with their parent(s) in the local area. If that is not possible, after a student has been accepted, Thayer’s Admissions staff will discuss helping the student find homestay arrangements.
The international program at Thayer Academy is vibrant and highly selective and provides a small group of international students with a unique cultural and educational experience in the Boston area.
The International Admissions Process, Step-By-Step
Here is a list of steps international students must complete when applying to Thayer Academy:
- Contact Vericant and schedule an interview: www.vericant.com/interview
- Vericant interviews must be completed by December 14, 2018.
- Approximately two weeks after receiving the Vericant interview materials, Thayer's admissions staff will contact applicants with a preliminary decision. Students who have been selected for a second interview can choose to interview via Skype or on the Thayer campus.
- The full application is due by February 1, 2019.
Documents required with your application:
- Student section and essay
- Parent section
- English evaluation (by a teacher)
- Math evaluation (by a teacher)
- School evaluation (including current grades and previous transcripts)
- Test scores (SSAT and TOEFL, both required)
- Completion of both the Vericant and Thayer interviews
- Special interest evaluation (optional)
- English Language and Testing Requirements
- Preliminary Financial Notes
- Immigration and Visa Information
- A strong command of English in speaking, reading, and writing is a prerequisite for all international students. Thayer's curriculum is challenging and fast paced; our subject areas require complex use of the English language, and we seek students who have strong scores on the SSAT and TOEFL exams, indicating a high degree of proficiency in English. Thayer does not offer English as a Second Language (ESL) courses.
- All international students applying to the Upper School must take the SSAT and TOEFL exams. All international students applying to the Middle School must take the SSAT/ISEE and TOEFL Jr. exams.
International students will need an F-1 Visa. Thayer Academy will provide an I-20 Form only for students who have been admitted and enrolled at the school. Thayer also requires international families to provide financial information before an I-20 can be administered.
Please feel free to contact Jennifer Welch, Director of International Student Enrollment, (firstname.lastname@example.org or 781.664.2221) for more information.
FAQs: Questions Frequently Asked by International Students
- When is the Vericant deadline for Thayer Academy?
- I am already studying in the U.S. this year. Do I still have to interview with Vericant?
- I work with an agency/consultant in China. Do I need to interview with Vericant?
- I plan to visit Thayer. Do I need to interview with Vericant?
- Does Thayer Academy require an interview if I cannot visit the United States?
- After I have completed the Vericant interview, when should I expect a response from Thayer?
- How many international students are currently enrolled at Thayer?
- How many international students does Thayer typically enroll each year?
Yes, an interview is required. Your application is only complete if you have been interviewed, either in person on our campus or via Skype. Students applying from Mainland China, Hong Kong, Taipei, and South Korea must schedule an interview with Vericant first. You can find more information about Vericant above.
Thayer Academy has a partnership with Vericant, an organization based in China that assists schools with a preliminary round of interviews. Candidates are required to schedule a preliminary interview with a representative from Vericant before scheduling an interview at Thayer Academy.
The Vericant interview consists of an in-person interview and a proctored writing sample. Vericant sends the filmed interview to Thayer Academy for the Admissions Office to review. After reviews, the Admissions Office will contact all students directly (within two weeks of receiving) informing them if they have been selected to move forward with the application process.
The deadline for the Admissions Office to receive the Vericant submission is Friday, December 14, 2018. We would encourage you to complete this interview as early as possible, as submitted interviews will be reviewed as they are received prior to December 15, 2017. After that date, submissions will be reviewed on a space-available basis.