Thayer Academy is a co-educational day school for grades 5-12. Most of our students live within a 30- or 40-minute driving distance from our Braintree campus. Thayer admits students for fall matriculation only; students are not admitted at mid-year or in the spring. Thayer is a day school with no boarding facilities, and our preference is for international students to live with their parent(s) in the local area. If that is not possible, after a student has been accepted, Thayer’s Admissions staff will discuss helping the student find homestay arrangements.
The vibrant, highly selective international program at Thayer Academy provides a small group of international students with a unique cultural and educational experience in the Boston area.
The International Admissions Process, Step-By-Step
Here is a list of steps international students must complete when applying to Thayer Academy:
- Contact Vericant and schedule an interview: www.vericant.com/interview
- Vericant interviews must be completed by December 20, 2019.
- Approximately two weeks after receiving the Vericant interview materials, Thayer's admissions staff will contact applicants with a preliminary decision. Students who have been selected for a second interview can choose to interview via Skype or on the Thayer campus.
- The full application is due by February 1, 2020.
Documents required with your application:
- Student section and essay
- Parent section
- English evaluation (by a teacher)
- Math evaluation (by a teacher)
- School evaluation (including current grades and previous transcripts)
- Test scores (SSAT and TOEFL, both required)
- Completion of both the Vericant and Thayer interviews
- Special interest evaluation (optional)
All international students applying to the Upper School (Grades 9-12) must take the SSAT and TOEFL exams if English is not their first language. All international students applying to the Middle School (Grades 5-8) must take the SSAT/ISEE and TOEFL Jr. exams if English is not their first language. Most successful applicants tend to score over 90 on the TOEFL or over 820 on the TOEFL Jr.
Thayer SSAT code: 7654
Thayer TOEFL code: C334
Thayer Academy will provide an I-20 Form only for students who have gained admission and enrolled at Thayer Academy. Thayer requires international families to provide financial information before an I-20 can be administered.
Please feel free to contact Jennifer Welch, Director of International Student Enrollment, (email@example.com or 781.664.2221) for more information.
FAQs: Questions Frequently Asked by International Students
- When is the Vericant deadline for Thayer Academy?
- I am already studying in the U.S. this year. Do I still have to interview with Vericant?
- I work with an agency/consultant in China. Do I need to interview with Vericant?
- I plan to visit Thayer. Do I need to interview with Vericant?
- Does Thayer Academy require an interview if I cannot visit the United States?
- After I have completed the Vericant interview, when should I expect a response from Thayer?
- How many international students does Thayer typically enroll each year?
- Does Thayer offer courses supporting English as a Second Language?
- What is the application fee for international students?
- Is financial aid available to international students?
- Are there any additional fees for international students?
- How many international students are currently enrolled at Thayer?
Yes, please contact Vericant and complete an interview with them first. If you are selected for a second-round interview, a Thayer admissions associate will contact you to outline potential next steps in the application process. At that time, you may schedule an interview at Thayer, either in person or Skype. If you are planning to visit campus for a tour and interview, please let us know well in advance of your intended travel, as interview spaces do tend to fill quickly.
Yes, an interview is required. Your application is only complete if you have been interviewed, either in person on our campus or via Skype. Students applying from Mainland China, Hong Kong, Taipei, and South Korea must schedule an interview with Vericant first. You can find more information about Vericant above.
Yes. The international student fee covers services involved in an international student such as coordination of international student visas and /I-20s, advising, safekeeping of international student documentation (passports and I-20s), additional postage, and phone charges for international correspondence.
Thayer Academy has a partnership with Vericant, an organization based in China that assists schools with a preliminary round of interviews. All applicants currently living and studying in Mainland China, Hong Kong, Taipei, and Seoul are required to complete a Vericant preliminary interview before scheduling an interview at Thayer Academy.
The Vericant interview consists of an in-person interview and a proctored writing sample. Vericant sends the filmed interview to Thayer Academy for the Admissions Office to review. After reviews, The Director of International Student Enrollment will contact all students directly (within two weeks of receiving) informing them if they have been selected to move forward with the application process.
The deadline for the Admissions Office to receive the Vericant submission is December 20, 2019. We would encourage you to complete this interview as early as possible, as submitted interviews will be reviewed as they are received prior to December 20, 2019. After that date, submissions will be reviewed on a space-available basis.