Thayer and Braintree
Ever since 1871 when General Sylvanus Thayer included in his will a bequest “to build an academy... to promote the cause of education in the Commonwealth and to benefit the town of Braintree, the place of my birth,” Thayer Academy and Braintree have been cooperative neighbors. Thayer Academy benefits from being a part of the Braintree community, with its rich history, vibrant economy, and its accessibility to Boston, the South Shore, and the western suburbs. The Academy contributes to this vibrant community in many ways, including opening its many facilities to local civic and cultural organizations and providing many student volunteers to several area non-profits. Learn more below on how Thayer has been contributing resources, creating opportunities, and supporting our neighbors in Braintree and beyond since 1877.
- 58 students from Braintree attend Thayer (9% of the student body)--putting Braintree in the top three towns that send students to the Academy. These Braintree students receive financial aid of $1,000,000 annually (16% of the total financial aid budget). At the Braintree public school budget expenditure of $13,838 per student, their attendance represents an annual savings of more than $800,000 to the Town. (Note: more than 100 Braintree children also participate in Camp Thayer’s summer programs.)
- Forty-two Braintree residents are regular full-time employees at Thayer. The Academy pays these full-time and 40 part-time and seasonal employees more than $3 million in annual salaries and benefits
- In addition to the $60,000 in annual real estate taxes paid on the 15 residential properties owned by Thayer, the school has also paid the Town building and grading permit fees totaling over $250,000 in the past several years.
- Thayer has paid for improvements to neighboring streets costing over $100,000 in recent years including repaving Hobart Avenue and installing curbing, sidewalks, plantings, and new lighting on Washington Street.
- Thayer renovated Braintree’s Daily Field for $75,000 and maintains the field annually in exchange for rent-free use.
- Thayer contributes $15,000 annually to the Braintree Public Library in support of computer purchases and a Speaker Series.
- Thayer conducts $1 million worth of business annually with 40 businesses based in Braintree.
- In past years, donations have been made to the Police and Fire Departments for equipment purchases and to the Public Library for its new building.
- Thayer has contributed annually to the Braintree July 4th Celebration Committee since 2008, the last two years, and this year, at the Signature Level Sponsor amount of $5,000.