ImPACT & Athletic Tryouts
In order to play team sports, each athlete must do two things before the first tryout date:
- Take the ImPACT* to get a baseline reading, which will be kept on file.
- Submit all medical forms to School Nurse Kathy Cunningham (email@example.com).
Many ISL and NEPSAC schools use ImPACT (Immediate Post-Concussion Assessment & Cognitive Testing). The test can be taken on your home computer. It usually takes about 20 minutes to complete, and the results are submitted to Thayer electronically. This is a simple cognitive assessment that effectively helps Thayer's athletic trainers to...
- Objectively measure the severity of a concussion
- Determine when a student-athlete can safely return to play
Before Beginning the ImPACT, Make Sure that You Have...
- Access to a computer with an external mouse. You have to use a desktop computer, not a laptop because TouchPad and TrackPoint mice don't work for this test.
- Closed out of any applications other than ImPACT and your Internet browser.
- Turned off the pop-up blocker in your Internet browser - the test will not launch if the pop-up blocker is on. (Also make sure to turn the pop-up blocker back on when you are finished.)
- Settled into an environment free of noise and other distractions. You will need to concentrate and exercise your memory. So...
- No Talking
- No cell phones
- No sound on the computer
- Students should be supervised by a parent when taking the test.
Steps to Begin the Test
- Launch the baseline test.
- Insert the Customer ID Code: 94348cf120 (case sensitive).
- Choose the language to take the test in (English).
- Use the PULL down menu & select Thayer Academy
- Note: # of years completed in school = your year in school minus 1.
- Go! www.impacttestonline.com/sportsconcussionnewengland
If you have questions about the ImPACT, please contact Head Athletic Trainer Ellen Malloy (firstname.lastname@example.org / 781.664.2273).
For questions about medical forms, contact Health Services Director Kathy Cunningham (email@example.com / 781.664.2299) or School Nurse Shelley Creager (firstname.lastname@example.org / 781.664.2299).