Pre-Season Requirements for Participation in Athletics
In order to play team sports, each athlete must do two things before the first tryout date:
- Take the ImPACT* to get a baseline reading, which will be kept on file.
- Submit all medical forms to School Nurse Kathy Cunningham (email@example.com).
ImPACT (Immediate Post Concussion Assessment & Cognitive Test)
All student athletes must take the computerized ImPACT before the first tryout date or they cannot compete.
The test can be taken on a home computer. It usually takes about 20 minutes to complete, and the results are submitted to Thayer electronically. This is a simple cognitive assessment that effectively helps Thayer's athletic trainers to...
- Objectively measure the existence and severity of a concussion (if an athlete should sustain a head injury of any kind)
- Determine when a student-athlete can safely return to play
Before beginning the ImPACT, you should...
- Have access to a computer with an external mouse. You have to use a desktop computer, not a laptop because TouchPad and TrackPoint mice don't work for this test.
- Close out of all applications except ImPACT and your Internet browser.
- Turn off the pop-up blocker in your Internet browser - the test will not launch if the pop-up blocker is on. (Also make sure to turn the pop-up blocker back on when you are finished.)
- Settle into an environment free of noise and other distractions. You will need to concentrate and exercise your memory. So...
- No Talking
- No cell phones
- No sound on the computer
Note: Students should be supervised by a parent when taking the test.
Steps to begin the test
- Launch the baseline test at www.impacttestonline.com/sportsconcussionnewengland
- Insert the Customer ID Code: 94348cf120 (case sensitive).
- Choose the language to take the test in (English).
- From the PULL down menu select Thayer Academy.
- Note: # of years completed in school = your year in September minus 1. (So if you're entering 9th grade in September the number of years you've completed is 8.)
If you have questions about the ImPACT, please contact Head Athletic Trainer Ellen Malloy (firstname.lastname@example.org / 781.664.2273).